Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Pocket Lake.....12 km past the line cabin

Bryan shoveled off some of the hard packed snow when he installed the SBX Antenna.  It's a very sturdy constructed cabin and so snow load should not be a problem...  This snow was so compact that Bryan had to use a big grub hoe and chop it off, the shovel wouldn't even cut into it.
After the 45 minute trip from Base cabin to here we stopped and had coffee and lite a fire for our return.
Our newly installed SBX. 
Those Misty Mountain are where we are headed.... they are on the other side of the Sutlahine River
This is a steep alder slide opening which goes down for 1 km
Meadows and Beaver ponds by Snake Lake
Pocket Lake   a very small lake surrounded by steep hills and Mountains .  A super cub might be able to make it in and out .... A Beaver could land but might have alot of trouble getting off the lake. 
Hill on east  side of Pocket lake.  You can just see the way off Lake on far right side of photo
Last winter we saw 2 Mountain Goats up on top of this mountain.  Mountain is on west side of Pocket lake
The pale Mountains on the horizon are on the other side of the Sutlahine River.  Way off lake is just infront of Bryan
This is the way out of Pocket Lake ... a 35% climb about 200 feet....  this is were Bryan will start tomorrow to push the trail down to the Sutlahine River
We are now heading North  back to Walkers Line Cabin
Back to Walkers Line Cabin, where Vikki will have a hot chocolate and then head down to the base camp by herself. 

4 comments:

  1. I follow your blog, but I keep forgetting to comment. I'm bowled over by the pictures of the lovely country you live in - not to mention how impressed I am with what you're doing!
    Canada is my second country and I am so happy I came across your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of snow on the cabin roof ,it weighs a lot .Over here in Scotland this year we had crazy amounts of snow. So much our sawmill roof collapsed. But you guys take it all in your stride.Take care Happy Trappers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that snow must have the consistency of concrete. ice. packed down like it is. can see the layers. anyway to estimate the weight. luckily you have a good strong roof on that cabin. ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy Brian and Vickey,

    I've shoveled many a cabin roof in Jasper and other parks. Steel grain scoop shovel is the cat's wiskers for the hard compact snow. An old rusty or cheap hand carpenter's saw can be used to divide it into nice compact blocks if its too concrete like. I'm still envious, though you probably find that hard to believe. Take care.

    ReplyDelete