Thursday, January 7, 2010
Snowshoes are a must now
This is the 3 day of reopenning Walker's Valley Trail, (named after an old Wolverine who just walks...never does the two step - who has successfully taken and eatten quite a few of our marten). Without snowshoes you sink out of sight. These are called Lynx Paws and are made in Prince George. Fallers use them and they are a must for making trail. They are not travellers, just real good worker snowshoes.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I remember stepping off of my skidoo when we lived up in Kugluktuk and sinking my whole leg down! Usually the snow was so hardpacked from the wind we never had that problem. My husband just laughed at me as I laid down and did the funky chicken to free myself!
ReplyDeleteHi Kara....both of us at some time or another have been flopping around in the snow trying to keep the boot on while shovelling out the snowshoe. Then it's trying to put your arms down in the snow to push yourself up but your arms go down to nothing underneath...I travel with a pole or shovel or hoe at all times so that I can get up...Bryan fell in a 8'hole between large blowdown two weeks ago and had a devil of a time getting out.
ReplyDeleteHi trappers
ReplyDelete8'of snow thats a lot of snow to fall into . If we get 8" here its a big deal, but this winter is different deep snow and a kind of haze in the morning like fog, but it seems more like cold air .Everywheres sold out of boots gloves and hats.You sure are a hardy breed out there with 3-4 months of winter!! 2-3 weeks of winter Over here.
And this is a real hardship for people who have forgotten
how to walk and leave their car. And our government is struggling to keep roads open .We dont have snow shoes in stores here .Take care on the trails:)Brian(:
I remain in awe of the beauty of your home. The Lynx Paw snowshoes look great. I trying to do a little logging in the winter but my traveling snowshoes (1966 vintage) look like an accident waiting to happen when used in conjunction w/ my favorite Stihl.
ReplyDeleteOur MN wolf population appears on the increase. The deer hunters are complaining but the handful of wolves I see each winter are worth it to me.
Good luck w/ your water situation. Four years ago I inadvertently let our pump room freeze at our 'up north' location and hauled water for four months. The question remains...have any heat in your outhouse?
HI Ken...the only heat in the outhouse is provided each morning at 8:30. I believe the First Nations used to pick up Buffalo dung for fires. That is what I am talking about.
ReplyDelete