Sunday, January 10, 2010
Dolly Varden spawning
The Dolly Varden have been spawning on the lake shore for 3 weeks now. Even in -20 C they can keep the lake open with all their activity. Their fines are now outlined with a bright white and yellow and their bellies are a bright orange showing off their emerald green backs. They are next in line to colourful like an Eastern Brook Trout. The largest one we've caught so far has been 30" long. (Catch & Release)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good morning!
ReplyDeleteI start every day checking your blog and seeing if you've checked in with all of us. Today Dolly Varden, what a dream spot you are living in. Given the snow we've had here in Whse, I doubt you had your delivery eh?
Well, just wanted to say good morning, and thank you for your prolific entries and for letting me get a glimpse of your life on the trapline. Though the washing machine and indoor plumbing kind of bursts my "roughing it" image of it! It just makes it more attractive.
cheers, Yukon Cathie
Wow, that's pretty wild that they keep the lake open in those temps! Is it only open in that one spot? Thanks for the pics! :)
ReplyDeleteCatch and release in hot butter!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Steve.... seriously...we only keep 2 to 4 pounders for a meal. The big Dolly's, Big Rainbow Trout, and big Kokanee we let go. It takes a big fish along time to grow up here in the cold water. There are thousands of 2 to 4 lbers
ReplyDeleteHello Stacie....there are 4 to 5 spots on the 5 km long lake where the Dolly's spawn...one place is right in front of our cabin. It keeps my cats fascinated for hours. The lake ice is 15 to 20"....it is amazing what all that wiggling will do.
ReplyDeleteHi trappers king salmon lake looks beautiful as ever! Today i learned about dolly varden, which ive never heard before so thanks for the dolly varden.
ReplyDeletetake care :)Brian(:
Morning to you also Cath. Still snowing hard here 2" an hour. The previous trappers slept in their same sheets for the whole winter and had bags of washing to be flown out at the end of the stay. If you have the right wash machine, a generator will make your life a whole lot nicer out here. We change socks every day and are glad of the fresh pair each day. We are remote...but trying to take as much of the bad roughing away. The first year I was found more than once with tears running down my cheeks trying to do the dishes in extremely dim light,very little water, and on a 2 foot wooden counter. And I wore out two toilet plungers washing dirty clothes by hand after Bryan had choped the hole in the ice for me to get buckets of ice water...then had to wait for the water to warm up...so that I could ring the clothes out with my hands not freezing off. We can make it easier for us both and we do. We love it here....and are glad to share our incredible days with you all. So glad to know you are out there.
ReplyDeleteHi Brian. We've got the best fishing here you can imagine. Rainbow trout up to 15/ 20 lbs, Dolly Varden, and Kokanee Trout and in Aug./Sept Sockeye Salmon, and Coho Salmon with a few King Salmon come up from the ocean by the Taku River to spawn. That is why this area has such a large Bear population.
ReplyDeletehaha Vicki - I hear you about the dim lights, once I got power, I had EVERY light on and my cabin was super bright all the time, it was awesome I loved not getting ready for work in the dark with a headlamp.
ReplyDeleteThen I installed dog yard lights, thousands of watts, and lit up the whole yard too... until I got my power bill! I've toned it down a bit, but yeah, comfort cannot be overrated!
yep Stacie... the lights keep you from going crazy, and the water sure helps too. Ever night when we finally reach our cabins we are home...and it feels like home.
ReplyDelete