Total Pageviews

Friday, May 4, 2012

Restoring the 1991 Johnson 40 Horse Jet Motor

 Bryan hoisted up the Outboard Motor and started to strip it.  It's still about 0 cel with a light wind and his hands would get cold and he would have to go warm them by the fire.  The first day he just took apart.  To day he used the Honda Water Pumb and hosed out the fine silt.  
If anyone knows how to tell the year of this Johnson 40 Model VJ40EEIH serial  G 02988700 let us know.  We need to find a parts motor like it. 



The jet needs a new baring. 



The Jet looks like it needs a new sleeve. The 40 - 50  Out Board Jet is from San Leandro, California

21 comments:

  1. Your outboard is a 1991 You use the word INTRODUCES as I=1 N=2 T=3 R=4 O=5 D=6 U=7 C=8 E=9 S=0 your model number is VJ40EEIH so you use EI I work for a marine shop on Vancouver Island let me know if I can help out with the parts you might need Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I found this, but yours somehow seems to break all the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. is it possible the last digit of the model number is a A if so it is a 1991 here is the part break down for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=ugoth3u7qn95lot6o6b02cm7r1&catalog_id=5&siteid=1
    Here is hte link for the parts

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!!! you guys sure helped out finding the year. A Big THanks// And Kenny Thank you ...you'll be hearing from us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Michael... and thanks Anono for the link... checking it now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. KENNY....Do you have any idea of where we would find an EXHAUST HOUSING OUTER Standard. We checked that link of parts for sale and it says none available. Is there any old Marine Engine Parts Yards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a shop in Campbell River that deals in used Johnson and Evinrude parts which were made by OMC they will most likely have any thing you need. OMC made that engine for alot of years so lots of years will fit, I have the factory service manual that I could send you if needed. If you go to boats.net they have the engine parts list break down on line so you can get the part numbers and go from there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://www.twincityoutboard.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here is another link, looks like there is a salvage yard in BC!!

    http://www.warnersdock.com/GPS.htm

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay did some reaserch for you guys the part # you are looking for is 0332425 which was made from 1989 to 2005 I will get in touch with the shop in Campbell River on monday and see if they have that part let me know if there is any thing more you are going to need.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bryan & Vikki thank you for continuing to share your wonderful adventures. This blog reminds me of eating cracker jacks as a child. A wonderful treat and a surprise in each package. I don't know what I enjoy more. The wonderful scenic pictures and adventures. Bryan's handyman work or the fact that you are living the dream. Do not let the Anti's aggravate you. They are fueled by ignorance and racism. I wish you would ponder the idea of having a film crew follow you next year to document a year in your life. This gift you have should be shared for all who cherish rugged individualism, hunting, trapping and the outdoors. I certainly would by the CD!!!! Shawn from Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. To Shaun from Maine. I went out to the campfire and told Bryan your "Opening a box of Cracker Jacks".... You brought the biggest smile to his face. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  14. To Kenny....Fabulous!!!!If the place in Campbell River has the Exhaust Housing Outer Standard we can pay by Paypal and have them mail it to Atlin. Bryan will add to list later today... he is still thinking. Re Factory Service Manuel.. Bryan wants to buy it from you. Mail to Bryan and Vikki PO Box 396 Atlin,BC V0W 1A0. Again we can pay by Paypal or will mail you a cheque when we go out in late June. Thank you so very much. You have saved us tons and tons of searching.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks Rob for the links... checking them out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. To Anon Your right the H must be a A

    ReplyDelete
  17. You can see Bryan and Henri finding this motor that was abandoned for 10 years by looking at Feb 20/12 Post called Retrieving Wayde's Johnson Jet Boat Motor. Or look at list on left hand side of blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love how this site brings thinking, caring, people together to help someone in need. Its also amazing the cross section of people who are interested in this blog. I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just was thinking do you have the controll box,oil tank for the VRO, I see the front cover missing from the carb box, did you fire up the engine up be for pulling it a part?to see if it runs, its easy to test all you need is a 12 volt battery pos. to the solenoid, neg to ground 50:1 fuel mix jump solenoid pos. to small yellow red wire on solenoid engine should turn over and have spark to the plugs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Kenny... This motor was stashed too close to the river and was under water up to the bottom carb, at least once. The motor was tied upright. The Inklin river is glacial fed, and full of very fine silt. The crankcase was not flooded, but there was a bit of silt, as fine as talcom powder, in the bottom intake valving. I will try firing it up when it is cleaned and reassembled. I really appreciate your input. Bryan

    ReplyDelete