When you're out here for a long time you really appreciate plastic and so do not treat it like garbage. Even the tin foil has many lives.
Washed margarine containers are used for collars around the cabbage plants.
Newspapers that our friend Henri sends in on the plane are used for seedling pots. The plastic meat containers are used many years as plant starters.
Bryan uses the old oil from the generator etc for chainsaw bar oil. He has a metal bin where every little scrap of metal is kept for his projects. Bent nails are kept in a bucket.... they might be really needed.
So far since Sept. we've filled one garbage bag that goes to the Atlin dump. The flatten tin cans, pop cans and clean glass jars go to Whitehorse recycling when we fly out.
| Bag of garbage, Tin cans to be flattened, and 1 bag of pop cans. |
| Stored dog and cat food bags |
Sorry u are having some problem postings. We all have stewardship responsibilities in life. Your life is in a location and with a work ethic that most cannot understand, much less appreciate.
ReplyDeleteAs I have said before, anyone who eats meat from a grocery store or who drives a car or who consumes coal produced electricity should be very critical of anyone else's lifestyle. You could deplete all the furbeares or leave a nasty legacy of footprints but you don't. Every post is a refresher on the the value of hard physical work, a man and a woman working together and sharing their life and enjoyment of a beautiful wilderness. Thecraftmanship f all your work deserves respect. There are a lot of anonymous people on the Internet and they have little to offer. Choose your friends and the posts you want to share. That's why God created the 'delete' key.
It is to bad those that question your "way of life" have to throw stones, I am sure their house must have thick glass. I would like to see them publish a blog about where they live and give us insight to their lifestyle, so we could all pick apart their impacts on the environment. We should all strive to impact ours as little as you impact yours. Keep on doing what your doing, the better you are the more haters you will have. Envious of your life, may your traps be full and your bounty great. Iowan by geography, Wilderness trapper vicariously through your blog.
ReplyDeleteI hadn't thought about the wax paper bread wrappers for ages!I too reuse all plastic and foil which can have many lives. My dad was a trapper back in dog team days.I grew up in a very isolated ing area (at that time but not so now)growing up on wild meat and the pork and chickens we raised. Loads of veggies and fruit that was home canned as well as the meats as there was no electricity.That part of me very much alive and well even after years in cities and attending university in the US. I came back 5 years ago and having gone full circle I'm so happy to back among old friends and canning soups and the bush!I'm in your age group, will be 60 something in July!Busy canning soups and meals in jars today. Enjoy your last little while before you leave for the summer which must be awfully busy with visiting everyone!I am so envious that you hear wolves so often I have to wait until I'm out in the bush at the old farm to hear them.
ReplyDeleteto Art... your words... choose your friends and post you want to share... otherwise Delete... Now that really good advise.
ReplyDeleteto Muddy Water. Thanks for the support.
ReplyDeleteTo gg Glad to hear from you. It sounds like we are on the same page.
ReplyDelete