Monday, April 16, 2012
Making Wolf Snares
A 10 foot length of 5/64 1/19 Wire is cut.
Then a 5/64 Camlock with teeth which Bryan filled in. Then a 7500 lb breakaway S hook, then Senneker Stinger Snare Spring and a Senneker Alberta Powersnare Trigger, then 2 5/64 single ferrules. When sealing the ferrules do it with just the right pressure to not over stress the metal. Do not flatten the ferrules are you lose the strength.
At the other end there is a Double Ferrule lope ... no swivel is necessary.
When Bryan sets them they create a 14" to 18" loop depending on the setting.
The finished snare will be boiled in Baking Soda Water to take the shine off. Then the hardware is painted with a dull colour. Since both Bryan and the Wolf are red colour blind he finds red auto body primer very effective.
These finished snares will be stored along way aways from camp under a shelter til next season.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wolves have highly developed social systems as do the grizzly bears you do no harm to.
ReplyDeleteWhy do you advocate protecting bears but not wolves?
Hi Conserve. It is a long reply so will do a post on it.
ReplyDeleteHi Happy Trappers. I was wondering if you ever had any trouble with the 5/64 cable breaking? I have been using the senneker trigger and spring on 1/16 cable for coyotes. It works well, however the one wolf I connected with, tore the cable and escaped. I was thinking of switching to 3/32 but I do like the smaller sizes.
ReplyDeleteHi Alberta Trapper. 5/64 falls in between 3/32 and 1/16... Out of 8 wolves we had 1 Wolf chewed out of a 1/16 because of a chinook with rain, which froze up the camlock. A 5/64 is substantaly bigger than 1/16 and will be hard to chew. Do not use 7 x 7. Go to 1 x 19.
ReplyDelete