Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Trapper Line cabin Day 8 and Day 9

Bryan talking...   2 more rounds on cabin yesterday. Got home too late to blog.  The door and window casings cannot be nailed to the logs as this would impede settling.  the logs are keywayed and a 2 x 2 1/2" strip is spiked to window and door vertical casings .  A space is left at the top so windows and doors won't be crushed.   Fell and milled more logs today .  Alaskan Mill tip....  Before making first cut, roll your log up on some dunage and block it, so it won't roll.  Drive a 2 1/4" nail about 2" to 3" off center in each end and stretch a string between them, keeping the string tight to the nail head.  Leave the nail in small end a little higher .  Adjust this until parallel to your desired cut.  Now put a nail about every 3 feet along the string keeping the heads just above string.  Leave string on.  Now put another row of nails 5 or 6 " opposite the string nails using a 12" dollar store level .  Now take string off and lay your bull plank (usually a 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 on top of the nails.  I always use 2 1/4" common nails and an inch and a half thick plank).  I set my saw for 4" and I know I'm cutting 1/4" below those nails.  This method will give you a very true and consistent cut, log after log. .....This is first cut to start to square the cant.  More tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. Bryan: Thanks so much for the explanation using strings and nails. That was the part that confused me. My question was going to be how do you square (assuming you spike the plank directly to the log) but now I assume that you use your square to set the nails on the other side (e.g. inside cabin wall)and likewise put the plank on the nails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Art... Yes, the next step is with a square instead of a level. I used to spike the plank directly to the log and fool around with wedges tring to square things up but the sting and nails are way faster , much easier and way more accurate. I will explaining when I cut some more tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work you two. Progress I mean.
    The view from that cabin is going to be fantastic. A stunning location.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a full week of sun and heat here and there. Up to 11c by Wed!
    Hope the trail holds out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More logs more sawdust more nails great long may it continue!!! Bryan can you sometimes get 3 or 4 peices out of a log. Or do you select smaller tree's for handling? Make hay while the sun shines. Take care
    :)Brian(:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brian... some times I can get two. The patch of trees are all a similar size in the 50 foot area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. how much time will it take to settle before you can install window and doors. looks like the snow level got pretty high there. down here we have to be careful of flood zones. is that a problem near the cabin. ken

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ken. The door and window will be installed as soon as the roof is finished. There is a 2 " gap left over the window and door to let the logs settle. It is filled with insulation.
    This is a low snow year....sometimes this valley can have 12 to 15' on the ground. Cabin is well away from run off streams and beaver dams.

    ReplyDelete