Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Trapper Cabin Day 10, 11 and 12....Busy, busy busy....

We are working hard.....our lake is softening up and the trail up to Walkers' Valley is across the lake so we are running out of time. The weather this year has been so mild which has been in our favour but now we need a little more cold. We come home late and are too tired to blog.

Day 10 We finished the log walls
Day 11 Gables and ridge done, ready for rafters
Day 12 Bryan says "It's nice to be working with lumber again! I can make a lot more boards in a day than those 3 sided cants."

5 comments:

  1. Been busy Bryan&Vikki
    nearly on the roof well done. The "wee cabin" will be "braw" when its finished . Will the other line cabin be started this year, or are there other jobs needing done first? take care :)Brian(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured the roof would practically be on, given you two!
    Good job!

    Are you expecting the floor and logs shrink over time? Will there be gaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Brian... we are always planning, planning planning. now we are looking for the right jon boat with a jet motor for the Inklin. there is some hold-up on the other cabin application, so we have to wait. we are also planning on starting a small shop on our lot in Atlin (population 300) 100 miles north of us by float plane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi cathie. Each foot of cut Board will shrink 1/2" to the foot. (different specs. shrink at different amounts) This wood we have is slow old growth Balsam and most of the water is already gone. I am expecting 1/4" on the floor boards and 1/8" on the 3 sided logs. we put insulation between each log and beleive the snow load each year will pust the logs together as they shrink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw Atlin on bbc tv while the olympics were on . A couple of brits walked and skied across Canada to get to Vancouver .When they mentioned trappers and guide outfitters near Atlin. I hoped it would be you guys . Anyway when can I move in to this "wee cabin"!!! :)Brian(:

    ReplyDelete