Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Can A Woman Run an Alaskan Sawmill????

This question was just brought up by Cathie. 
In order to run a mill you first have to be able to run a chainsaw.  If you can run a chainsaw, including maintenance and sharpening, than you have a good chance of also being able to run an Alaskan Mill. 
My first daughter, Theresa bucked for me on a hi-lead logging operation when she was 18 for one season.  She managed an 80cc chainsaw quite well.   My chainsaw in the mill is a 100cc, but an 80cc saw would work.  The trick to milling is not pushing on the saw.  It is setting up the mill proper and setting up the log proper with the guide board, combined with near perfect sharpening.  If this is done right anyone can push the mill.  If one thing is wrong a strong man is needed to push the mill ....  If two things are wrong ...NO ONE can push it.  I learned all of this the hard way.  Even thought I was an expert hand faller and could keep my saw rasher sharp.... I had to start all over again.   Now I know when it is not cutting perfect.....I know why.  Also invest in a sharpening guide tool for about 100.00  ...you will save on chain.  Also the store bought chains seem to work the best after 3 sharpenings. 
ALASKAN SAWMILL TIP    After you bolt the mill onto the saw, loosen off the clamp nearest the tip of the bar and then loosen "the slide depth of cut adjustment" and slide it all the way down to medium cut and than tighten bar clamp at tip.  This will insure that the mill is relaxed on the chainsaw and not bending your cutting Bar.  If the chain is gouging big curves in your lumber, this can be the problem.  The mill is under tension and is very hard to push.
Hope some of this helps.... Bryan

1 comment:

  1. Excellent, thanks Bryan!
    I will invest in the chain sharpener guide tool asap.
    Cheers, and hope the day goes well today!

    ReplyDelete