Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 12, 2012

When we first came here

We had taken the trap line over sight unseen. On April 12, 2007 Bryan flew in on the Beaver with the first of 3 loads. Cheeko (Vikki's little Tundra 300 had been taken apart and was in the 1st load). Vikki flew in a few hours later with Hannah, our dog, 3 cats and supplies. Another load came in in the evening.







A wall tent used as the skinning shed had not made the winter.


The trapper cabin was fine and very clean. The door to this cabin is very low and wide. You can stand in the center of the cabin but not anywhere within 2' of the walls. After hitting his head 3 times, I hung a dream catcher in the doorway so that Bryan would remember to duck.

7 comments:

  1. The amount of snow on top of that cabin just amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love it if you would write more about why you made the decision to move there and how it all came about. I'm quite envious of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI GUYS ITS ME THE ROCK . FINALLY TOOK SOME TIME TO GET INTO YER BLOG SITE ! INTERESTING ....KEEP IT UP ! WILL YAP MORE LATER . HOW DO I SEND THIS NOW ???
    THE ROCK AND BOOP

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that new header photo! Good thing you build those cabins so strong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy your photos and stories of the wildlife you see there.

    The acrimonius debate about bear hunting was very interesting but I am not convinced that hunting bears is a good thing.

    You cannot hide away from the many issues and our messed up world way out there on a remote trapeline- or can you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are not hiding out here. Vikki did her time in the big cities, Bryan was mostly in the bush logging, but this is our retirement dream. We have had to work extremely hard these last 5 years to find our way, build some trails and line cabins but all this is in mind that we are going to be older each year.
    We listen to XM radio each day and the computer keeps us informed also. We read National Geographic, MacLeans, Canadian Wildlife Federation Mag.etc from front to back. We are informed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Might be an idea to open up spring black bear hunting around towns and cities. Perhaps then we could thin out the bears close to urban areas and possibly also remind bears that humans are to be avoided. Or perhaps cities could have a patrol of bear dogs to chase the bears back into the bush instead of shooting them.

    ReplyDelete