Total Pageviews

Monday, February 21, 2011

Bryan's Off to Walkers' Line Cabin Alone

Bee played her usually game of catch the bootlace with Bryan
It was hard to stop the tears as Bryan road out of the yard.  There is just him and her and Hannah and Bee and five chickens within 80 kms and now he is going to be 12 km away for a couple of days.  It's easy to say....... "Sure, go, I'll be okay"  but as he is leaving out the door the tears can't be stopped.
This morning started (after coffee and listening to the world's happenings.... on the BBC) with Bee's usual tug of war game of the bootlaces, then Bryan headed out on the Tundra 550 Longtrack.  On the Bucket Trail there were a group of moose on the trail ahead of him and he had to wait for them to leave.  He also came across day old Wolf tracks so they know the moose are there also.  Came back with 5 squirrel and said "I'm leaving you, will you be alright?"
                                                                                         The weather is good right now ....-7 cel and it is 
     hard enough work without coming to base camp each night.  So Vikki  is looking after the place and Hannah and Bee and five chickens.  There was enough grub to last for 3 days.  Vikki showed him the ICOM radio and the frequency to call the passing Jets if he needed emergency help.
Next year we will have a SBX Radio at the Line Cabin so that if we are apart we can check in that all is well with each other.  There might also be another type of cabin to cabin or cabin to skidoo set up we can find.


Off to check the Bucket Trapline on the Tundra 550 Longtrack

Off to Walkers' Line Cabin for a couple of days of hard work.

3 comments:

  1. You have both put your time in 'out there' and while 'out there' inherently is riskier than a few other places you do approach your work with a lot of experience that will keep you safe. Absence is tough but your experience will keep each safe. Rest and recover! Bryan will miss you (and your cooking). Focus on what you have rather than what you are temporarily missing. You each have food, snowshoes (I don't trust anyone unfamiliar with deep snow and deep cold), familiarity with the land, and a good sense of direction geographically and in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that we've been pouring over our seed catalogs. Did you check out www.seedsavers.org?

    This year I'm focusing on berries with a bigger commitment to blueberries, currants, currants, and seaburys (sp?), the last of which are native to Siberia so they should flourish in MN. I'm also expanding our Lingonbery patch. I'm 60 and it may be a long, long time before I get my fill of lingonberrys from the ones that I planted.

    I'm also committed to eliminating nearby woodchucks, whitetail deer, and raccoons that devastate my garden.

    Do you have raccoons?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Vikki it must be strange to watch the snow machine go knowing that its not coming back that day.
    When you here the noise of the engine drifting down the trail it will sound into your soul. Bryan will be home before you know it :)

    ReplyDelete