This cotton wood is 6 feet at the base ...the spruce beside it is 2 feet wide.
Sunday, December 6, 2009
-20...my eyeball is freezing
-20 cel at daybreak...we waited and headed out across the lake an hour later....my eyeball is freezing.... once we got off the lake it was okay.. spent the day adding another 100 metres to the Inklin trail.. at lunch by the fire...a can of chili exploded...Bryan had red hair, face and beard. His glasses were covered.... that goodness for his glasses... I said"maybe a photo for the Blog" He said NO!!!!! We were rewarded by a beautiful view on the lake at dusk.
This cotton wood is 6 feet at the base ...the spruce beside it is 2 feet wide.

This cotton wood is 6 feet at the base ...the spruce beside it is 2 feet wide.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The bean story reminds me of an adventure of mine quite a while ago. I was out on horseback and had a can of beans and a can of sardines in my saddle bag for lunch. Built a nice fire, poked a hole in the can of beans, put em by the fire and ate the sardines while the beans were warming up. Well, when the can was good and hot, with steam and a wonderful aroma of beans jetting out of the lid, I decided it was time to eat the beans. But, picking up a hot can of beans out of a fire is no easy matter. I'll just put my gloves back on I says to myself. Picked up the can, burned my fingers, dropped the can back into the fire. Can turned over, nice jet of steam turned into nice power washing of me by the bean juice and beans firing out of the hole. My horse figured that was enough of that and decided it was rodeo time, trying (unsucessfully) to pull the poplar tree over that he was tied to. I expect I looked about like Bryan did by the time it was all over. Probably sounded about the same as him, too. ;-)
ReplyDeleteThe picture of the sky is fantastic!
ReplyDeleteThe scenery is breath taking it must change all the time. you will never tire of the things that you come across out there. I also sampled the molten bean shrapnel from the fire on a camping trip when I was younger it was placed in the fire while I was sleeping by my friends older brother he was not very popular for the rest of the trip. Take care that canned food is lethal!!! Brian :)
ReplyDeleteAlbertaFarmer...you made us chuckle...Bryan figures that in his lifetime he's had about 30 go ballistic on him...Thanks for your story...
ReplyDeleteHi Brian... yes it can be a nasty trick to play... and you are right there is always something different and wonderful we enjoy each day.
ReplyDeletePretty rugged country to build trails' steep ground, alders, devils club, etc. Reminds me of my friends trapline, only thing there are no trails, just travel the maze of old unplowed loging roads. 108km. of sledding to get to main camp and then venture off from there.
ReplyDeleteCanfor used to have the TFL in the area but recently gave it up. Now the MOF. has control of the roads and bridges in the area. So in the Winter months there is no snow plowing. In one way its kind of nice not having to worry about getting ran over by a logging truck, and also no other people that far out.
Steve...wade Wheaton who has trapped along time on different traplines said " I like a challenge and King Salmon Lake sure gave it to me." Well he gave it up...but when we wrote him he said we had built the cabin he also dreamed off and that they thought of King Salmon often..This is as rugid as it gets. The devils club is 8 to 10'tall. The willow are 20' long and the alder are nasty. The steep rock cliffs are right there. The moose trail our new trail....you have to be here to beleive it.
ReplyDeleteHey guys I really enjoy following your Blog or site or whatever it is called. I come into my hotel room after work and the first thing I do is turn on the laptop and go directly to Happy Trappers, you are living the life I dream about. Thank's for also directing me to chainsawman.
ReplyDeleteI know sometimes it is difficult to find a daily thing to talk about but do your best.
Thanks
Steve
10' tall devils club!! Now that is the stuff nightmares are made of. Throughout university, my summer job was being a timber cruiser for Louisiana Pacific out of Dawson Creek. I hated those days when we hit devils club. I am sure I still have bits of it embedded in my legs!
ReplyDeleteHi Matt and Kara....Yes devils club is called that for a reason. In the summer it is so tall it hides everything...you can not tell if a bear is there ....to walk thru it is impossible without a machette...and really good gloves and eyeglasses..because as you hit it ...it bounces back into your face. The Grizzly like to eat the berries...and the taku tlingit made medicine out of it. Many a night you see one of us sitting there trying to pick out the sharp thorns. Nasty stuff.
ReplyDelete