Each day we go out ....if we are making trail we make a fire first thing when we get there. We also turn the skidoos heading home ....encase we need to get home fast. We also have a skimmer (tobagan) that can be used as a way home if you can't drive.
Thursday, December 17, 2009
QuikClot.....Stops Bleeding Fast
I asked a Pharmasist in Whitehorse, "What can we use on a really bad chainsaw cut. We are 100 km from the nearest nurse station" He recommended this product and we were able to get it thru Cabelas, in the US. We have one in our lunch kit and i carry one in my jacket pocket at all times. (And I am ordering 2 more). Our doctor said if you have to use it don't take it off. This is what they use in the war zones. But be very sure you need to use it because it kills all the flesh around the wound. This is to help stop massive bleeding along with a tornique. And then get yourself somewhere where a helicoptor can land. In our lunch kit is also the satelite phone and the I Spot... which at a push of a button shows where we are located and calls for emergency help. This is to be used in only extremely bad situations. We also have big time pain killers and lots of bandages etc. Besides the lunch kit there is also a water proof sac with more first aid stuff and dry socks, extra warm gloves, and 15 Xlarge Xtra Tough garbage bags.... encase we need to spend the night out in the bush. We also carry a small jug of diesel for emergency fire starter.
Each day we go out ....if we are making trail we make a fire first thing when we get there. We also turn the skidoos heading home ....encase we need to get home fast. We also have a skimmer (tobagan) that can be used as a way home if you can't drive.
Each day we go out ....if we are making trail we make a fire first thing when we get there. We also turn the skidoos heading home ....encase we need to get home fast. We also have a skimmer (tobagan) that can be used as a way home if you can't drive.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Bryan&Vikki
ReplyDeleteAll things that crop up out there you can handle if your prepared! I remember working as a faller we always carried a lot of emergancy kit with us. And if the boss checked and we never had something, he sure went through us but he was right and we soon realised what he mean't when my friends father who worked with us fell forward over his saw and it all but cut his arm off a few pins and a lot of stitches and they saved it but he could never hold a saw again but he's still living!! So i understand we were prepared so we could help him .
Be warm stay safe :)(: Brian
Hello Big Salmon
ReplyDeleteQuikclot. I was just reading about that 5 minutes ago on the Alaska outdoor forum. Some guy with a chainsaw cut himself. One of the other guys mentioned this product.
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=59450
I think I am going to order some for next summer out at Gladys.
cayeene pepper works well to stop bleedind as well. homeopathic medicine. ken
ReplyDeleteEven though I'm not as remote I always turn my truck around and leave the keys in the ignition. I also carry some critical items on each side of my body assuming I'll be screwed up. Thanks for the quickclot tip. I'm going to go online and order some. After 30 years with a chainsaw I'm careful but stuff happens. My closest call was going through the ice with a running saw an attempting to get it away from me.
ReplyDeleteYou all gave us some more idea's to be ready...thanks. especially the cayenne pepper and having things on both sides of the body. Also Art....falling thru the ice with a running chainsaw...that gives me a new nightmare.
ReplyDelete