If you want to be out here alone....that is what you must be.
My 07 Sthil MS441 had a dirty diaphram...fine dirt coming from the diaphram breather hole . Over my life as a logger I have owned over 100 chainsaws and always have done my own repairs. My first brand new chainsaw was when I was 15 ... over 43 year ago. I use a chainsaw 250 days of the years.
This was the most difficult one to work on. Over engineered.... but when it works it really works. Compared to the Husqvarna there is way less maintance but when it finally gets dirty and you have to clean it up....it's way more work.
Once you take the 4 cap screws holding the filter apparatus off and the troutle cable off.... simply pry the garburetor off with brute force and remove and clean.
I finally took this approach after spending 4 hours on this saw. I have 4 chainsaws out here (one especially for the Alaskan Mill) and have just ordered another. Out here if you don't have a chainsaw in good working condition you can't get firewood....can't go ice fishing....can't use the skidoo trails (fallen trees) ...can't build new trail.... Bryan
Thursday, December 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yup mechanic, carpenter, electrician, plumber, if you can not do it all you might have problems out there. By the way Bryan did you build your log home, it looks great.
ReplyDeleteMy Dad was also a logger and his first chainsaw was a yellow beast - McCullough. I remember how he used to sit by the stove, sharpening the chain in the evenings back in the mid to late 50's. I can still conjure up the smell from oil and sawdust.
ReplyDeleteHi Fireweedroots. my first chainsaw was a MCCullough also. Bryan
ReplyDeleteHey Bryan&Vikki
ReplyDeleteA man has to have a good reliable saw more so for you out there. Most guys over here like husqvarna saw,s. But I have a soft spot for an old stihl 084 I used on many day,s back in the mid 90,s but someone decided they needed it more than me ! You are a skilled man with a saw. I can see the things that you have crafted around your cabin there are has been some pretty accurate cutting at king salmon cabin. How did you get your bigger things out there Snowmobiles ATV,s etc do they get broken down for the plane and then get rebuilt? Brian
I think I would be good at using a chain saw but not so good at repairs.
ReplyDeletecan you show some more pics of the house and surrounding area. looks like the cabins a beauty from what we can see. brians ques. on how youd get the larger equipment out occured to me as well.i remember reading of a guy up in ak who disassembled and brought in a whole bulldozer piece by piece. ...ken
ReplyDeleteHi Brian...I really like the 084 also but it is the 66 Magnum of the Sthil I like the most as the 084 is just alittle on the heavy side for thick brush and deep snow. We run both sthil and Huski here. ....The Tundra 300 got broken down and put in the Beaver. The Tundra 550 was put in sideways in the Beaver with both doors off and we won't repeat that again. The Scandic 800 was long lined in by Helicoptor. Bryan
ReplyDeleteHi Ken. Will put some before and after pics on Blog. See remarks to Brian re bringing equipment in.. We used to own a Cat along with alot of other heavy equipment logging stuff and talk often how it would help us making trail....
ReplyDeleteI always zoom in on the photos where you are on trail work to check out the saw. Currently I own four Stihl's but am not much of a mechanic other than my own chain work. Jonsred and Stihl are the two names in this market. Also have a small Alaskan Mill that I use to size up logs for various practical and impractical whims about the property.
ReplyDeleteHi Art....For trail I run a 365 Huski with 20"bar and half wrap. Also a MM441 Stihl with 20" half wrap. The Alaskan Mill has a 395 Huski with 28" bar. We've got 4 newer models out here plus 2 old derilects which were here. Also just ordered another 365 ........Thanks for the homepower site.... Bryan
ReplyDelete