Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Our First Egg


Our chickens came through....I was cleaning the outside pen last week and there by the feeder was a really small egg. Bryan made nesting boxes the next day and within 3 days we had two more eggs. One was so different...no shell but when I sniped it open and cooked it ...it was wonderful.
I've been giving the chickens plants from my garden and they were very happy with everything but after a real good frost I noticed that they wouldn't eat the pea plants anymore. Bryan told me that our friend Glen, a farmer, had told him that the plant nitrogen increases after a frost and it is dangerous for cattle and horses. Obviously the chickens knew this. First thing in the morning I went out and cleared out their pen. Bryan has started his shop which will have a wood stove in it and it will keep the chickens warm through our cold winter. I stapled plastic on the outside pen to keep the snow out and the wind. Hopefully we will have eggs all winter. They say you need to feed 3.5 lbs of feed for 1 dozen eggs. A bag of feed is 22.00 and a carton of eggs up at Atlin is about 4.00. So we should be ahead.

1 comment: