

Bryan's out setting up the first Skidoo trail. I'm sitting here at dark in candlelight so that I can hear his sled return. It is easier the first trip of the year if he doesn't have to look back to see if I am still following. There is no real base to the snow yet. Last year I sprained my wrist on the 1st trip out on the bad hill loop that loops up the hill around a large rock knob on the lake trail. We'd planned on fixing that spot but hadn't yet. The loop is bad sidehill and on an outside curve you have to make an immediate right. I had to stay home for a month to heal the sprain and we didn't want that to happen again. Bryan got home at 7 pm ...said it was a hard trip. not enough snow under the big trees yet.... his 550 Scandic longtrack tipped over on him once. He had put out 10 Marten boxes on the way out and on his return was rewarded by a nice Marten.
wondering if the Wisconsin DNR would consider importing a couple dozen breeding pairs of martens and releasing 'em in the NW part of the state - we're overrun by squirrels !!
ReplyDeleteI enjoy your pictures and posts so much, thanks for taking the time to post them. Life in the far "north country" has always interested me and I am grateful to have found your blog.
ReplyDeletehi enjoy your reports. and views of life in the frontier. very different here in florida. photos of the area really show the natural beauty. ken
ReplyDeleteThanks again for your posts!
ReplyDeleteGood to see the snow is deep enough to get around now . Over here our winters are cold and damp and snow for a 2 or 3 days if we are very lucky . love your blog . I tried trapping a bit but only for the pot over here in scotland furs would be frowned upon .So I watch your post and dream of the day. Brian
ReplyDeleteI like that photo - portrait of a real mountain man.
ReplyDeleteA lot of misguided people rely on petroleum based clothing and fill the land dump sites with cloths they only wear for a season or two. Fur and Leather clothing stay around for generations and have stood the test of time. We beleive we are already seeing a shift back into more sensible clothing. People have got to buy less and still be happy with their choice in 10 or 20 years.... not a new winter jacket every year because there is a stain on it. Buy Wool, Down-filled, leather and fur. Buy something that is real.
ReplyDeleteHey guys what made you say to heck with the rat race and move out to the bush? Because I know that I am so close to doing the same. I average at least 3000 hours per year at work and away from home. This year closer to 3400 hours, it seems that the older I get the more work I do, and you got to remember you only live once.
ReplyDeleteSteve....that is the thing...you only live once..
ReplyDeletebut there are so many things to consider. Are your children indepentant yet. Write down what is important to you and ask yourself what you can do without. your wife must do the same. \
For us it was now or never. If we waited too long we would be too old.