Total Pageviews

Monday, November 16, 2009

Breaking Trail...after the snow dump


Pics are a series of up the hill and backing down to try again.. we both finally made it up.... Bryan had not trouble after the trail was broke with his Tundra 550 long track skidoo but I only made it to 7 feet from the top before my little Tundra 300 Skidoo flipped over on me....burying me in the snow with the skidoo on top of me. I yelled for Bryan and he was soon there to pull that skidoo off. This hill is extremely side hill on the left and is 130 feet long, most of it 30 % incline the top 20 feet is 45 % incline. When it is fresh deep snow here, there is no body to the snow.... your skidoo pushes all the snow in front of you.... you are not on top of the snow. once it settles, it is so much easier...
it was a horrible day.... trees blowing down all around us....and 2 feet of wet new snow.


















































12 comments:

  1. You poor thing!! You have no luck with that little skidoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, my little skido is an amazing machine and weighs all 360 lbs....our land is extreme...this hill is 130 high....is extreme side hill on the left and is at least 45 % for the last 25 ft to the top. You cannot walk up it straight. Next year we will dig some dirt to level it so it is not so horrible.This run was the first of the year for this new lakeview trail. now that it has been travelled it will be better. Hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well at least you didn't get hurt this time!

    I am only used to skidooing on the tundra! We are thinking of getting a pair here in a couple of years. I am going to have to get used to hills!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im just south of boston. So far its been a balmy 64....glad to see global warming is still at bay up there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It always amazes me how much snow you guys get.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This year we are keeping a daily snow fall count. The Taku River has been known to get 20 to 30 feet over the winter. We are in the Pacific Coastal Mountain Range 100 km for the shore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to see you guys have nice deep snow . just cold wet and windy here. Sometimes the sun shines on the autumn leaves and things seem brighter for a while . I hope your trails get a bit easier to cut for you .Take care and keep warm . All the best from scotland Brian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! All that snow makes me long for more of the white stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reminds me of last winter, on the trapline I assist on. Only thing is that I have a Skandic SWT that weighs 730 lbs. with no fuel. I am always by myself and pray that I do not get stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steve. we also have a Skandic SWT. Two years ago Bryan had the Skandic tip over on him catching his angle bone against the running board and a rock...I was 300 feet ahead, struggling thru the snow on foot. It is the first time I have heard him screening like a girl. I ran back as fast as I could (He will still say it took me 3 minutes) I could not move the machine. I stood up on the running boards and it still would not move. Finally Bryan is yelling at me to get up on the track... With my weight up there jumping and him pushing.... he is very strong, the machine moved enough for his leg to get out. The Scandic SWT needs alot of respect. At 850 lbs it is a mountain of a machine. Travel safe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tomorrow I'm going to finish my outside fall work. Your photos have reminded me that snow and cold is only days away in MN. I remain in awe of your efforts to live and work remotely. Imagine the lives of trappers before snow machines...and of course before the internet.

    Thanks for your remarkable posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear nobody was injured. Yes, hopefully the next time you use that trail it will be easier going. The trees look beautiful with all the snow though. No snow yet in my corner of Minnesota, which is unusual for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete