A generator screaming away so that you can have water, internet, lights.... things that are so nice to have out here now for a few hours a day, but it is so nice to turn the thing off.
Silence is something special.... long hours when you can hear yourself thing. But I have to admit that the new gaget additions of this ipod on the iphone for hearing Audible Books and the Kobo and Kindle e-readers with small lights sure add a new dimension.
In the dimming light I listen to Julia Christie reading "Out of Africa". Amazing. Then when it is really dark the oil lamp and the Kindle. Stephen King's 11/22/63 is a different journey for the mind. Can you imagine the silence of a cabin when the clock on the wall sounds like a ticking bomb. There is no sound otherwise... sometimes I take it outside and let it run out there. It has no reason to be so noisy.
I received an email from Henri and he said Bryan is busy in our little garage building something. We will see what he has been up to when he returns. Ishi, our new dog was terribly upset the day Bryan flew out. At 7 that night I thought the wolves were here but no, it was Ishi out by the dock doing the mournful low howl. She didn't eat that night either.
Well, off for our daily walk. It was -17 c this morning but by noon -10 and now at 5 pm -4.
Friday, March 23, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Let me know the next time you're in Whitehorse. I've got a bunch of audio books I can give you.
ReplyDeleteare you gonna leave the moose and calf alone? also what bred of dog do you have. do you see a karelian bear dog as a good breed for you guys?
ReplyDeleteVikki
ReplyDeleteSilence is golden for sure.
Can't wait till I am back up that way in my little out of the way, hide away.
The silence is deafening.
Days are getting longer now. Nice. The sun has some warmth also.
Take care
Gregg from Gladys
Ryan... We love seeing the moose and calf so close. We keep quiet and let them feel safe. Ishi is a female blue heeler/border collie. Our friend Jim has a male Karelian Bear dog. They are a great dog but they also keep the moose away. We have been able to teach our old dog to keep still when a moose is near. We are teaching ishi to do the same.
ReplyDeleteGregg... you will some be back up north. Spring is coming fast.
ReplyDelete