2:00 pm and there was a terrible painful howling. I rushed outside and there was old Hannah just outside the door. Howling through drool and rigid against the wall. Her back legs not able to support her. I got towels and tried to help her. I kept on calling her name loudly. She is really hard of hearing but she responded slightly. I went and got my Dog Vet Book.... searching to see what I could do. She voided herself but it was easily cleaned up. Her tongue was hanging out. It lasted well over 30 to 40 minutes.
Then she started to act really strange. Searching and not being able to see. She was panicking... I thought she might have to go pee so I let her walk. She bumped into the wood pile stumbling. It took 30 minutes for us to get to the outhouse where she was determined to go. It finally dawned on me that she was looking for Bryan. I went and got his trapping coat and put it on the ground.
It seemed to calm her.
We finally got back into the cabin. Now she was trying to go under chairs... behind the furniture. Bumping, bumping... I got the generator going and called the vet on Skype. After talking with the Vet I was told to give her 50 mg of Gravol (Travel tabs) and darken the cabin. I was told that after a seizure, blindness and disorientation can last up to 24 hours. I give Hannah the pill and hammered blankets and towels on the windows. The sunlight was stopped. By 3:30 pm she was resting. Her breathing normal. I called Henri on Skype and told him an email was coming and could he give it to Bryan. She ate her dinner and slept. Overnight she awoke me again with her roaming around and I gave her another Gravol (Equate).
Today she seems normal. Contacting our wonderful lady vet by email this morning, getting advice and a prescription of valium to help if the next seizure is really bad or long. I emailed A1 Delivery and they picked up the prescription 30 min. later. It will arrive in Atlin tomorrow morning.
Hannah will be 15 on June 2.
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm sorry to hear freind Hanna is having some problems Vikki. We will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure it was a stressful time for you. I went through the same thing with my Sheltie who was 12 years old. Glad you had on-line help and all is well today. Good job!
ReplyDeleteThat is a tough thing to have to watch. I am glad you were able to get advice from a vet so quickly.
ReplyDeleteOh, Vikki, I know how helpless it can feel when you're watching a seizure happen. I'm glad you've got remote access to a vet and are able to get some anti-convulsants out to you quickly.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear about your good dog. Our black lab, Deadey, was 13 and had similar seizures. It's so hard to watch your best friend. You spend their whole life sharing life and talking and counseling each other and then you hit point where you want them to hear you and they certainly want your help. Best friends need each other, especially at these times.
ReplyDeleteVery sorry to hear about Hannah. Hopefully she will be okay again. And you too.
ReplyDeleteHey Vikki sorry for poor Hannah .Take care :)
ReplyDeletePhenobarb helped my dog more than the valium. It's a scary sight for sure.
ReplyDeleteThank you all for your thoughts...the valium is what is coming in now but the phenobarb will be an option when we fly out in June.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like alot of you have traveled the same road with their faithful friend. And you dear Michael...with your young daughter.