Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A BIG HELLO to NICK from Bryan

Sure glad to know you enjoyed the cabin construcion.... It was real hard work but now it is done.  To your question on how much space to allow on the log over the door for settling and whether I float the door cassings until next year ... 
Door way keyway
   I know from experience that the Balsam fir here shrinks about 1/2" to the foot so the top log is 3 1/2" above the door casing.  The side cassings are nailed to a 2 x 2 key which fits into a keyway in the end of the logs.  The only place the cassing is nailed to the cabin is the bottom log.  The trim around the door and window is nailed to the cassing only.  If problems with the door develop, the jam can be adjusted by removing some trim and wedging the cassing one way or another.  Thanks for your interest Nick.  It's been fun for me to have you see what I've been up to. I write at the kitchen table then Vikki puts it into the computor.  I know alot about a chainsaw and motors but a computor is not my thing.   Glad to know you are out there.  We're heading OUT in a few weeks to start on a garage/shop in Atlin so we will probably Blog that also ....      Bryan 

5 comments:

  1. Nice blog. Thanks for sharing with us!

    I have a blogspot blog too and just cut logs for a cabin.

    onbeavercreek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bryan&Vikki
    I thoroughly enjoyed the cabin building. The wee cabin was a delight to see from start to finish thanks for sharing!! Is the shop in Atlin a big job ? :)Brian(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brian
    Nice to see a pro work with a chainsaw! Any chances of an apprenticeship for an 81 year old man? Not enough hours in the day for the things I want to do. My wife and I were both private pilots. Have since given up our licenses, but really miss the adventure. I flew the Atlantic in 1985 in my 1984 Belanca.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nick... Never too old to learn. That's the difference between us and dogs, and even some old dogs learn new tricks. That Atlantic trip must have been a little scary to start out on!! Right now I'm milling up some 1 x 5" lumber, which I will plane and tounge and groove for soffits on the shop we're putting together up in atlin in June. I use bug killed Balsam fir as it is very light and stable. We'll fly them out with us in the Beaver in late May. You should check out BCGray's blog... he is a retired pilot also. www.bc'smusings.blogspot.com Take care Bryan and Vikki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Trappers
    Not much blogging of late. I hope all is well :)Brian(:

    ReplyDelete